Students with Disabilities
Support in the pursuit of your educational goals
The Office of Disability Services (ODS) works with students having special needs to ensure they receive reasonable academic accommodations in courses of study, according to their individual needs. The goal: to guarantee that all students with disabilities have an equal opportunity in the pursuit of their educational objectives.
Eligible students are strongly encouraged to tap the services of this office. College studies show that students who consistently use ODS resources and accommodation services earn higher grades and graduate at a higher rate than students who choose not to use them.
Who is eligible?
Any otherwise qualified student or prospective student who states that he or she has a disability as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) or the guidelines for section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 may register with this office.
How to register?
To register for services, a student or prospective student must first provide appropriate documentation of disability. Student documentation should be current, typed, signed and on official letterhead. It may be faxed to 513-569-4744 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documentation and Next Steps
Step One for the Student:
Student documentation should be no more than 3-5 years current and must be typed and signed. It must include: (student may bring this in)
- Student’s Name
- Student’s DOB
- Either a high school Evaluation Team Report (ETR) or a Diagnostic Report from a Professional
- These documents must include supporting tests used to determine disability:
- The date of the most recent evaluation
- The diagnostic criteria or tests used for this diagnosis
- The current impact of (or limitations imposed by) the condition
- Treatments, medication, devices or services currently prescribed or used to minimize the impact of the condition
- The expected duration, stability or progression of the condition, and
- The credentials of the diagnosing professional
- Academic implications of the disability
- Recommendations for the student
Next Steps for the Student:
- If the student is in the Admissions process and needs accommodations for the Placement Test (Extended Time, Braille, Large Print, Reader, etc.), the student must contact Disability Services to request these before taking the Placement Test. A recommendation will be made to the Testing Lab with these requests. ** Please allow 7-10 business days from the time of request to hear from the Testing Lab regarding an appointment for taking the test.
- If the student is registered for classes and has a schedule, the student must call Disability Services to set up a meeting the the Disability Services Manager to discuss accommodation needs, who will at that time recommend accommodations and issue notification letters which the student will deliver to their instructors. Please call 513-569-1775 to schedule this appointment.
Important Documents from the Office of Disability Services (ODS)
The following Disability Services documents provide details about submitting documentation and other procedures for students with disabilities. The accommodations, if recommended to a student, are FREE of charge.
We are here to help
The. Contact the Office of Disability Services via email or by phone, to schedule an appointment and to determine how we might help you to be great at Cincinnati State.